Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dreams & Changes


This is one of my impulsive midnight paintings that started out with large blobs of color thrown onto the canvas and then blended into an O'Keefe like floral.

I've been learning a lot about dreams and changes. Dreams can be like that comfortable old blanket that sits around just waiting to wrap you up in warmth. You can collect dreams and store them away like treasures that no one else gets to see--because what if they did see...what would happen? There is some fear associated with sharing the things that are your secret treasures--for instance, you may have someone laugh at your dreams, or maybe someone will smash your dreams...so you tell yourself that it is okay to keep them hidden safely away where only you can daydream about them.
But I think that dreams, just like those little foam animals that come in pill-sized capsules, grow, like the foam toys, when they are let out and put in water--or in the case of dreams, if they see the light of day! Dreams need to be played with, acted on, even in small segments, and not just thought about as they collect dust in the closet of your heart and mind!

I have found the richest times of my life are when I dare to enjoy the things that make me smile and not worry about the impracticality of my craft, or dance, or song or girl's night out, or being goofy with my kids! Dare to enjoy the little things--they are the fertilizer of dreams!

No comments: